Friday 13 February 2009

Grizzly Bear Cabernet Sauvignon 2007


Name: Grizzly Bear
Colour: Red
Country: USA
Region: Central Valley, California
Year: 2007
Grape Varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon
Alcohol: 13%

Purchase Price: £3.33 (£10 for 3 offer, Sainsburys)

Notes:

Maker's tasting notes – A full-bodies red wine with masses of plum and blackcurrant flavours, finished with toasty oak and subtle chocolate notes. Excellent with steak or roast dinner.

Somnambulist's verdict: I don’t often choose Cab Sav varietals especially not at the bargain-basement end but somehow this found its way into the shopping trolley and I’m very pleased it did. This is a very quaffable red, loads of fruity flavours (I’d add cherries to the black fruits mentioned above) with a smooth long finish. I have no idea how a Mosel weingut ends up bottling Californian reds but it doesn’t really matter – at 3 bottles for a tenner I am filling the cellar with this excellent everyday drinker.

8 comments:

  1. Sainsburys are ceasing to stock this wine. The current 3 for £10 is to clear the remaining stock. Sadly there is no remaining stock in my local stores. I had just introduced two friends to this lovely wine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Liz - Hi and thanks for dropping by. I recently had the same problem with their online store - I ordered 36 bottles that were supposedly 'in stock' and the lorry turned up with 0! I declined the replacement wine they offered at almost twice the price...

    ReplyDelete
  3. does anyone know who does stock this wine since Sainsbury's stopped, we haven't found any one else that sells it - which is disappointing as we really enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @anonymous - Hi there. Unfortunately I've not been able to find this anywhere. If you come across it, please come back and let us know where!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there any update on a stockist? I have emailed the producers...so here's hoping

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Mark - Still not found anything. If you get a response from the producers, please drop back and let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sainsbury's came back to me to say they dropped it for poor customer demand and could not give me the supplier details...
    just waiting to hear from Germany now...

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Mark - Thanks for the update.. perhaps we should consider taking over Sainsbury's role as importers!

    ReplyDelete