Friday 5 December 2008

Marques de Caceres Crianza 2005

Name: Crianza
Colour: Red
Country: Spain
Region: Rioja
Year: 2005
Grape Varieties: 85% Tempranillo, 15% Garnacha Tinta & Graciano
Alcohol: 13.5%

Purchase Price: EUR 7.62 (Carrefour)

Notes:
Maker’s notes – Attractive, bright ruby red colour. Refined bouquet of black cherries and blackberries with a soft touch of aromatic Mediterranean herbs. Lusciously fresh and fruity in the mouth where rich fruit (cherries, strawberries, raspberries) and notes of cinnamon mingle to give a pleasant fullness with a backbone of silky-smooth tannins. Long-lasting, unctuous finish. A splendid vintage that is velvety-soft and elegant.
.
Somnambulist's verdict: No doubt this is a good Rioja but I think the winemaker's notes above are going a bit over the top. The flavours are all there but if anything it's a bit on the arid side of dry. Certainly value for money but think I would spend more and go with the marvellous Reserva or Gran Reserva next time.

6 comments:

  1. ahhhh M de C .. love the white version. [must nip to makro and pick some up for Christmas] :-)

    lol word verif: kismaz. How spooky!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi 70s.. I haven't tried the white for a very long time. I'll check it out in the new year ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the wine. But I'm young. It appears to be a great vave to me as I've been drinking JLohr merlot and various Cabernets. SauV.You did mention Some Reserva or Grand Reserva. Anything you recommend?Similarly priced is a Campo 2004 reserva but nothing else close $. I try to keep its under 20. Think you for your help! CheerS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @anon - Hi, thanks for dropping by! I love this wine too and buy it regularly. The Marques de Caceres Reserva and Gran Reserva are both excellent, and the Reserva at least should be available under $20 (try the wine-searcher.com link on the sidebar).

    For other suggestions, check out the Vina Albali Gran Reserva wines I have reviewed, they are excellent value. I'd also recommend (but haven't yet reviewed) Marques de Riscal Reserva, which you should find for under $20.

    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband & I typically love reds in this price range and above, but almost croaked when we first tasted it. Perhaps we rushed the breath phase, but wine shouldn't burn painfully. Since we had planned to use it for sangria anyway, it was a save.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Candace,
    Thanks for visiting!
    It sounds like you had a bit of an bad experience - it is a pretty dry red, but it really shouldn't be unpleasant. I wonder if perhaps you just had a poor bottle...
    In any event, I can recommend four other reds that (in the UK at least) can be found for a similar price, which all represent excellent value:
    http://somnambulisticdribblings.blogspot.com/search/label/la%20chasse%20du%20pape

    http://somnambulisticdribblings.blogspot.com/2009/01/vina-albali-gran-reserva-seleccion.html

    http://somnambulisticdribblings.blogspot.com/search/label/la%20cuvee%20mythique

    http://somnambulisticdribblings.blogspot.com/2009/04/name-gran-familia-colour-red-country.html

    Of the above, I'd say La Cuvee Mythique is the pick of the bunch and definitely worth looking out for!

    ReplyDelete